How to obtain the Green Card or Permanent Residence

You can obtain a US Green Card or permanent residence by two means. One is through a family member sponsorship who requests you and the other way is to obtain a Green Card based on an offer of permanent employment in U.S.

Most employers petition for an employee using Form I-140  Petition for Alien Worker.Reina Bates Contact
There are three types of Employment-based Green Cards.  Green cards may be available to investors/entrepreneurs who are making an investment in an enterprise that creates new U.S. jobs.

EB-1 These visas are available for certain multinational executives, researchers and professors with outstanding qualifications, and professionals with extraordinary abilities in the areas of science, arts, athletics, education and business.

EB-2 These visas   are for professionals of foreign nationality who possess advanced degrees with a masters’ degree or higher, who have been offered a job from a US company. This applies to foreign nationals who due to their “exceptional ability” in the sciences, arts or business sectors and other foreign nationals who demonstrate exceptional abilities who can show that their abilities will benefit the US national interest.

EB-3 This category covers professionals who have a US bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent and who have received an offer from a US corporation,   These skilled workers can fill positions that require at least two years’ experience or training or for positions that require less than the two years’ experience as ‘unskilled workers’ with a job offer from a US company.

Always consult with an experienced immigration attorney who is a law graduate and certified in the United States of America by the Board of Immigration Appeals Federal Department of Justice.


This post is informative and is not  legal advice.