How to Request Family Based Visas to the U.S.

REINA & BATESWhat is the correct procedure to request visas for family members? This question is asked by  U.S. citizens and legal or Permanent Residents in the U.S. who strive to obtain immigrant visas for their family and to live legally in this country.

Bola contact

Many people obtain Permanent Resident status through family members. A family member who wants to petition his/her spouse or unmarried children of any age, to come and live permanently in the U.S., a nation created by immigrants, must follow several steps.

The first step when dealing with any immigration issue is to speak with an experienced and skilled immigration attorney.

You can find an experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas and throughout Texas, on the State Bar of Texas website. This will assure that your case moves forward as quickly as possible and is handled correctly.

When you consult with an immigration attorney it is important that you are able to understand the attorney. The attorney must either speak a language you understand or have a competent interpreter that will allow you to understand what the attorney is saying.

First of all, what status does the relative, or the person petitioning a family member, have in the United States? In order to request a visa for family  you must first be:

Citizen Of The United States

Permanent Resident, Green Card.

Refugee or Asylee Status, meaning a refugee who has been admitted into the country in the last 2 years or an asylee who was granted asylum in the last 2 years..

Spouse or family of a servicemen/women in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Special category which includes battered spouse or child (VAWA) and non-immigrant widow/widower of a U.S. citizen

There are different procedures and forms depending on what the relationship is with the petitioner. Visas requested by U.S citizens who wish to bring their fiancé(e) to the country must also comply with certain eligibility requirements, apart from your intention to marry within 90 days of his/her arrival to this country.

Certain family members who are neither spouses and unmarried children, can be petitioned depending on the individual circumstances. Parents, siblings and married children of the petitioner can also be requested but it is always recommended that an experienced attorney authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas and throughout Texas, will ensure the best possible results. As long as all documentation is in order and the forms are completed correctly, this procedure takes time, but is not that complicated.

Always consult with an experienced immigration attorney who is authorized to practice immigration law in Dallas, throughout Texas in the United States of America by the Board of Immigration Appeals Federal Department of Justice.

The State Bar of Texas website can verify if an individual is licensed to practice law by the State of Texas. Our attorneys are fluent in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Korean.

Speaking with an experienced immigration attorney in your own language, who is able to give you legal advice, is the first step when dealing with any immigration issue.

PIE DE BLOGThis Post is informative and is not a legal consulting.

Interpreters in Dallas & Houston

About the author

Newbusiness, interpreters, Web & Internet